My plan was to take a picture of a nice stack of warm pancakes, dripping with something delicious like honey or pure maple syrup. The reality: I was really hungry and I decided to take one small bite of the first pancake hot off the skillet. IT WAS SO GOOD, and this resulted in me eating ALL the pancakes straight off the skillet, so there never was a stack to take a picture of.
These were very easy to make. I’m sure there are similar recipes out there, although I didn’t use a recipe. It was more of an emergency experiment because I didn’t feel like getting my phone and searching recipes at 7 AM. It was one of those mornings where I knew I needed something to “stick to my ribs” as I’m going to be abused (I say that jokingly and lovingly) by this guy later. I stood in front of the fridge weighing my options: eggs (out of salsa, so no), leftover oatmeal (not quite enough left to be a substantial meal), and conveniently all the ingredients to make pancakes (duh).
1 ripe banana (mashed)
1 egg (for vegans, use flax seed egg)
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (for me this was equal to about 2 TBS Raw Vegan powder)
2 TBS unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup almond meal
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
coconut oil for skillet
- Preheat a skillet or cast iron pan on medium. Coat with coconut oil.
- Mix all ingredients except blueberries in a mixing bowl. Alternatively, you can blend them all in a vitamix, but be careful not to over-blend- you want the batter to have some texture to it.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into pan, add 10-15 blueberries once the batter has spread out on the pan.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through
- Try not to eat all the pancakes before they make it to a plate 🙂